The Department of Physics and Photon Science at the Gwangju Institute of Science and Technology (GIST) aims at
- Educating creative scientists and engineers in the field of Physics and Photon Science.
- Conducting in-depth researches in the area of Optics, Plasma Physics and Particle Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, etc.
Department of Physics and Photon Science will thus become a world-class education center which will lead the photonics research.
The goals as a world-class educational institution include - building a foundation that provides a new educational opportunity for creation of various fused photon science and technology by integrating nano and biomedical technologies
- forming a cluster for a new academic paradigm that shares the extreme space-time coordinates that are pursued by nano-science and femto-science
- providing an interdisciplinary educational system for human resources with backgrounds in such basic sciences as physics, chemistry, biology, and material science and in such applied engineering as mechatronics, electronics, and photonics.
The participating Organizations:
- School of Physics and Chemistry
- Advanced Photonics Research Institute
- Center for Extreme Light Applications(National Core Research Centre)
- IBS (Institute of Basic Science)
- BK21 PLUS Project
- Science Research Center for Advanced X-ray Science(SRC:C-AXS)
- IBS Research Center